Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesdays with Nora- Sleepless in Seattle

Here are 14 reasons why you should watch Sleepless in Seattle on February 14. Or any Tuesday. Or everyday.

1. Nora directed and wrote the screenplay. Her voice also makes a cameo as the voice of "Disappointed In Denver" on Marcia Fieldstone's radio show.

2. Annie Reed's gorgeous hair. My first memory of this movie - I was 9 when it was released- is my mom trying to style my hair into thick braids and twisty ponytails. Apparently, I've aspired to look like a movie character for quite some time.

3. Bill Pullman as Annie's dorky, sweet, allergy stricken fiance, Walter. You know immediately that they're not meant for each other.
I love that scene where she says

"Becky, I'm madly in love with Walter. He did the craziest thing the other night.What was that? Oh, it was so funny. We were hysterical. What was that? "

I once had a friend who talked about her boyfriend that way. I knew they were doomed.

4. Barbara Garrick as Victoria. She's so darn pushy and that damn laugh. How about when Annie sees Sam give his sister a big hug and thinks he's happy with Victoria?! Oh, I'm in such despair everytime I see it.

5. Tell me what was so special about your wife?

Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.


6. The million little things that mean Sam and Annie are meant to be this time around. She responds in unison with Sam as they listen to Dr. Marcia. He sees her in the airport and wants to follow her. She peels an apple in one, long curly strip just like his late wife. You just know they're meant for each other.

7. Rosie O'Donnell as Annie's bff and coworker, Becky. What can I say, I love best friends who you work with.

8. Rob Reiner as Sam's bff (do guys say bff? shall I say buddy?) and coworker. Mostly, for this: exchange:
What is "tiramisu"?
You'll find out.
Well, what is it?
You'll see!
Some woman is gonna want me to do it to her and I'm not gonna know what it is!

9. The soundtrack is perfection! Especially Joe Cocker's version of Bye Bye Blackbird- the song Jonah's mom used to sing to him as a lullaby.


10. This movie is a love letter to romantic movies and the epitome of a CFC philosophy. Without the example set by Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, we wouldn't be hoping, wishing, praying for Annie and Sam to find each other on top of the Empire State Building on Valentine's Day.

11. This scene might possibly be the best scene in the entire movie. This is what happens to me when I describe about any Nora Epfron movie, most Rachel McAdams movies, the Royal Wedding, and the occasional Justin Timberlake performance.


12. Meg Ryan as Annie Reed. Pretty, classy, a drinker of tea, and a woman who asks to be introduced to Jonah's teddy bear upon meeting him. She deserves to find the one and we know who it is!

13. It's Sam Baldwin of course! Still mourning his late wife, amusingly cynical about love but adorably nervous about dating again. A a great dad who needs to find love again but might miss out on his perfect match.

14. The last scene. You've waited the entire movie to see Sam and Annie meet and now they're leaving! Wait, what?!? How can this happen?
But then. . . "Shall we?" asks Sam. He reaches for Annie's hand. She takes it. Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment