Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tuesdays with Nora- Julie & Julia

Here's a recipe for you:

Start with a Nora Ephron screenplay

Add in 2 talented, versatile, insanely likable actresses (Meryl Streep and Amy Adams)

Mix with 3 wonderful supporting roles (Stanley Tucci as Paul Child, Chris Messina as Eric and a pre- Sue Sylvester Jane Lynch as Dorothy!)

Sprinkle in some lovely shots of Paris in the 1950's

Blend in lots and lots of butter

Direct by Nora Ephron

And you end up with Julie & Julia the most recent Nora hit- and Oscar nominee!

About a week ago I was describing my "favorite movies" criteria to someone and explaining that, while there are some wonderful movies that I have only watched once, for me to really, really fall in love with a movie- I have to watch it again and again. It needs to be a movie that I see in theaters, and then rent as soon as possible. That I DVR when I see it is premiering on tv, and turn on when doing homework, or folding laundry or cooking dinner. These are the movies that achieve a coveted spot on my "favorites" list and Julie & Julia fits the bill.

I mostly love this movie because overall, its such a happy movie to watch! Yes Julia and Julie face some challenges in the writing process but you know its going to end up okay in the end. They're both married to really nice guys and they have good friends. They're both so adorable in their own quirky ways. And the food looks delicious!

In honor of Julie & Julia, I thought I'd post a CFC first- a recipe. Although I thoroughly enjoy the food I make for myself, I wouldn't consider my cooking popular. (Baked tofu and steamed kale anyone?) However, this recipe is a tried and true crowd pleaser. I refer to it as "Christmas Toffee" because I always make it for friends and family during the holidays. But you can make it anytime!

Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar

1 pkg choc chips

1 cup butter- Julia would be proud

a sleeve of saltine crackers

chopped nuts - totally optional
your favorite chick flick playing in the background

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover cookie sheet with a lip with foil OR use a disposable foil cookie sheet like me. Wasteful but easy clean up! Line the pan with saltine crackers in a single layer.



On stove, melt butter and brown sugar.Bring to a full boil and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Don't get all caught up in whatever cute moment you just have to watch in the movie. Press pause and focus on the task at hand- this cannot cook longer than 3 minutes!

Remove and pour over crackers. Bake for 4-5 minutes. You want the saltines to be very, very lightly browned.

Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Leave until melted and spread out. Sprinkle nuts on top.


Refrigerate overnight. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.


I totally meant to take a picture of the bite size pieces but I took them to work and they disappeared! I promise you the salty, sugary, buttery, chewy, crunchy combo is AMAZING.


As Julia would say . . .




Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment