Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Celebrity Spotlight- Justin Timberlake

If I could continue with my list of life rules, I would require every girl to have a teen celebrity crush.

This is crucial for several reasons. First, its an important lesson in unrequited love. Let's say, hypothetically of course, that you fall in love with Leonardo DiCaprio at the age of 12. You decorate your algebra notebook with pics of Leo. You obsessivley watch reruns of Growing Pains on the Disney Channel hoping to catch the episodes with Baby Leo. And, unless you're Blake Lively, you never ended up with Jack Dawson. But you survived! So who cares if a totally regular guy doesnt like you?

Most importantly, if you have a teenybopper crush you will never become one of those crabby old women who says things like "I just don't know what the kids these days see in that Elvis/David Cassidy/Justin Bieber character." You might not love the Biebs but you remember what it was like to feel so completely infatuated with someone who would never be yours. That seems mighty heartbreaking, but I promise its important.


weirdly similar, no?

So for me, that person was . . . still is, Justin Timberlake. Although I was an avid watcher of the Mickey Mouse Club, I didn't really fall for Justin until NSYNC had a concert special on the Disney Channel the summer after I was in 7th grade. I remember Justin wore baby blue warmup pants and had his platinum blond curls and I LOVED him. I taped the concert (on a VHS!) and then added to this tape for every NYSYNC tv appearance. By the end of the summer I had about 3 video tapes filled with TRL interviews and cheesy music videos. And I watched it. Every day. "Oh Lindsey what did do this summer?" "Oh you know . . . tried to learn how to put on eyeshadow, snuck moments of MTV when my mom wasn't looking and watched 6 hours NSYNC everyday."


I firmly believe that NYSNC was the best boy band ever. I saw them on every tour and screamed and cried and screamed some more. They were cute but they were also really talented! They sang AND could do back handsprings. I still know the dance moves.

It came as no surprise when Justin embarked on his solo career. I enjoyed the 7-11 t-shirt, new beats, and thinly-veiled Brit smackdown of his first album, Justified. In fact, the Justified/Stripped tour was the last time I saw JT in concert. Christina was still all dirrrty and Justin was loving that he could sing and dance without tripping over Lance Bass. Cameron Diaz was in the audience in Tampa and he pointed at her in the front row before he closed the show. I was insanely jealous.

When FutureSex/LoveSounds came out I was all "umm... what is this? why is he bringing sexy back?" Then I listened to the whole album. I am no film critic and I am certainly not a music critic but I think this is one of the greatest pop albums ever. And you have to listen to it from start to finish. It's sexy and fun and heartbreaking and desperate all at the same time. The music makes me want to dance AND cry.

I've always know that Justin was a great entertainer. And now that he's acting I am really enjoying it. But like any true JT fan, I think its time for new music! I love watching Justin perform and I am dying to see him in concert again. Just watch this clip. Specifically from to 1:40 to 2:05. Yes.



Obviously I think Justin is really talented. He also has great style. He loves his mom and he's a southern boy who's had the same best friend since he was kid.



But you know what I love the most? He seems to really enjoy being an entertainer AND a celebrity. As a a celeb obsessed person, there's nothing I hate more than stars who seemed totally burdened by being famous. But not Justin! He always gives great interviews, has a blast as the SNL host, accepts dates to military balls and is one of the best talk show guests. . . ever?



A few years ago, the pop critic from my hometown caused some controversy by calling Justin "the next Frank Sinatra." Now I love me some Frank, but I don't think we can label Justin's influence on the entertainment industry by comparing him to anyone. From boy band leader, to pop music star, to clothing designer, to leading man- I think Justin continually proves he is the next Justin Timberlake. And I can't wait to see what happens next.


P.S. One time I met Justin. He talked to me. It was the worst day of my life. I'll tell you about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment