Friday, May 4, 2012

The Five-Year Engagement Review


About half way through The Five-Year Engagement I shifted in my sheat, mindlessly nibbled on some stale popcorn, and sighed "Omg. I HATE this movie."

At the end of The Five-Year Engagement I blew my nose on the sleeve of my jacket, clapped my hands together and squealed "Omg! I LOVE this movie!"

And so my review falls somewhere in between.

First of all, it was not the goofy, raunchy, sweet movie I expected from the previews. It was much darker and more depressing.

I adored Tom and Violet as a couple but became exasperated with their never ending engagement and all of their issues. They were acting ridiculous. They were miserable. I felt miserable.

The cool thing about this was that their families and friends eventually called them out. It's rare that a movie acknowledges its faults . . . during the actual movie. Still, its not enough to atone for the moments I was bored, or annoyed, or not at all amused.

But oh, the moments were I was! There are two scenes in particular that I just loved so much I could watch them on an endless loop. The first one, a fight between Tom and Violet is really about how girls want to talk about everything that upsets them and guys would rather say nothing. It's so funny and so real. The other scene, where Violet and her sister are aruging in front of her niece . . . in Sesame street voices . . . I laughed so hard I cried.

And I'm happy to say that this movie, for better or for worse, has a happy ending.

The Five-Year Engagement, rated "R," comedy, starring Jason Segel and Emily Blunt "B-"

No comments:

Post a Comment