Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Help Review


Today I finally saw The Help! Yes, it came out on Wednesday but I have been anticipating the movie's release since I read the book last August. Usually I try to avoid reading too much about a movie before I see it. However I've read about the casting process, relationship between the book's author and movie's screenwriter, and of course, the controversy. I think this and this sum it up best.
The Help is not a comprehensive view of black maids, race relations in Mississippi, or civil rights in the 1960s. I don't think Kathryn Stockett or Tate Taylor intended it to be. Its just a story- a great story.
What I LOVED about the movie is exactly what I LOVED (even more) in the book. I was 100% invested from the minute Skeeter scribbled "The Help" in her notebook. I cared so much about these characters. I cried and laughed, and laughed until I cried. Towards the end my boyfriend leaned over and whispered " its clear to me that you are on an emotional roller coaster right now."
I was thrilled to watch some of my favorite chapters to come to life thanks to an excellent acting ensemble and a great screenplay. But I couldn't stop thinking about the book. It would have been impossible to include every word in a marketable movie but parts were missing that were hard for me ignore.
When I first wrote about The Help I hoped I would be "pleasantly surprised" by the movie. I was completely captivated! Although its difficult to forget about the novel I loved, and the articles I read, I'll try review the movie for what it is. A great story.

The Help, rated "PG-13,"drama, starring Emma Stone and Viola Davis, A-

No comments:

Post a Comment