Friday, June 15, 2012

Rock of Ages Review



Based on a hit Broadway show, starring a talented and diverse cast, featuring hit rock songs from the 80's- Rock of Ages was my most anticipated movie event of the summer.  And just as your favorite band hitting the wrong notes in concert can burst your starstruck bubble, I left the theater feeling more than a little disappointed.


I'm not saying I didn't smile, or squeal over Sherrie Christian's adorable 80's fashion, or feel like applauding on occasion.  Tom Cruise (sorry, Suri) and Catherine Zeta Jones are especially ambitious in their roles.  But I don't understand how director Adam Shankman and phenomenal choreographer Mia Michaels couldn't manage to to create more exciting performances.  Most of the time the lead characters mope around singing ballads to themselves- think Glee's Lea Michele at her most annoying.  The two bright spots in choreography- ironically set in a church and a strip club- give us an idea of what could have been.


Like its predecessor on stage, Rock of Ages the movie doesn't take itself very seriously.  Most of the dialogue is tongue in cheek and the plot, like a rock god's hair, is overblown and absurd.  I didn't come looking for something serious, but I wanted to feel something.  I cried during High School Musical 2 for heaven's sake!  During the best moments of Rock of Ages I occasionally giggled.  I guess that's not a bad thing, but that's not rock and roll.


Rock of Ages , rated "PG-13," musical, starring Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Catherine Zeta Jones, etc "C+"

No comments:

Post a Comment