And as for Matthew, he finally married his lady love and baby mama last weekend! Alright alright alright!
This got me thinking about one of the best chick flicks out there. How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days came out nearly 10 years ago! I mean it when I say they just don't make 'em like this anymore.
10 Reasons I adore How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
1. The style, obviously. From Andie's sophisticated work clothes to her summer dresses, this movie defines chick flick chic.
And this practically iconic yellow dress.
If I curated a museum of romantic comedy styles (wouldn't that be fun?!) this dress ( and the Isadora diamond of course!) would be my star exhibit.
2. Matthew McConaughey made an ad executive sexy and swoonworthy long before Don Draper. You just know when Benjamin Berry pulls up to work on his motorcycle, vaguely sexually harasses his two coworkers, and strips off his tee to button up a dress shirt. You just know that he's a bad boy you're going to love in spite of it all.
3. This was the first movie I saw Kate in and I just think she is enchanting as Andie Anderson. She's cool, confident, ambitious- can we be friends?
4. It seems like chick flicks these days primarily are centered around weddings and babies. That's all fine, but isn't it refreshing to revisit a romantic farce where the lead characters are ruthless to get ahead in their careers- yet still fall for each other?
5. That's why the turning point for Ben and Andie, their visit with his family in Long Island, is so important. They have to let down their guard, they laugh and tease, for the first time in these 10 days, they aren't pretending.
6. And it brings us to one of the sweetest, and most surprising love scenes out there. Complete with one of my very favorite songs, seeing Ben and Andie smooch their way into the shower is somehow hot AND heartwarming.
7. Besides a shirtless Matthew McConaughey, this is a chick flick that guys LOVE. Which made it the perfect date movie and the now perfect movie to convince your boyfriend to "watch" as he naps on a Sunday afternoon.
8. How to Lose a Guy is laugh out loud funny and provides us with a few of my favorite quotes.
"Nobody likes a Mr. Sniffles!" " I hate Mr. Sniffles." "Blow! White- healthy boy!"
"Mary had a little lamb, little lamb . . . you have to take it away before I gag!"
9. From Kathryn Hahn's hilarious performance as a desperate and needy ex girlfriend, to Andie's outrageous antics as she tries to "lose" Ben, this movie is ripe with cliches on how to become a crazy ex girlfriend. I think every girl watches this and says "Omg I once had a friend who acted like that girl!" while internally lamenting " Omg I once acted like that girl!" Ben says it best when he asks "Where's the sexy, cool, fun, smart, beautiful Andie that I knew? The one that wanted to be a serious journalist? You're up, you're down,
you're here, you're there, you're like a frickin' one woman circus." Can we blame PMS?
10. Watching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is 100% worth it if only for the scene when Ben arrives to take Andie to the diamond ball and sees her in the all dressed up. He takes a deep breath, hand over his heart and sighs "You're . . . beautiful."
Am I going to watch this movie again as soon as this post publishes? You bet I am.