Thursday, April 26, 2012

What Makes Me Cry- Matt Lauer and the Royal Wedding

I know I've blogged about it before, but watching the Royal Wedding nearly a year ago was the greatest tv viewing experience of my life. And there's one moment I'll never forget.


As a loyal Today Show viewer since graduating from college and starting a big girl job, I was obviously tuned into the coverage on NBC. Do you remember when Kate stepped out of the car and paused, so everyone could get a great shot of the dress? She delicately took her father's hand.


Then Matt Lauer, who up until this point, had feigned complete disinterest in all of the royal hoopla, decided to say something.


"I'll only say this once" he ominously began "they have called her Waity Katie . . . and today she will wait NO MORE!!!" The last words came out booming, in a Madonnaesque faux British accent.

It was so absurd, so ridiculously out of place that you couldn't help but die laughing. Except I burst into tears.

The most embarrassing thing about all of this is that I've tried to tell this story several times.

"Omg, Matt Lauer said the dumbest thing during the Royal Wedding"

I'm giggling just thinking about it.

"For some reason he said they have called her Waity . . . Waity . . ."

My eyes fill with tears.

"Waity Katie. "

sniff. sniff.

"But today . . .she . . "

Oh hell. At this point I either after to pretend to die laughing (the appropriate response), immediately change the subject, or fake a coughing fit.

So if you ask me about my favorite part of the royal wedding, I'll probably say Pippa's dress, Harry sneaking a peak as Kate walked down the aisle, or the not one, but two kisses on the balcony.


But now you know truth. Sniff.

P.S. What else makes me cry- Dear John and Superbad

No comments:

Post a Comment