Saturday, April 21, 2012

April Madness

Oh hello . . .




I had a dream last night that I somehow got to go to the premiere of The Lucky One and Zac Efron invited me to an after party at his house. Unfortunately I woke up before I could go to the party, or see what was in his pockets.


It's been quite awhile since I posted and while I predicted that I wouldn't be posting much in April, I didn't anticipate the entire month. I've found that blogging, like exercise, healthy eating, and hanging up my clothes instead of throwing them in a corner on the floor, is an easy habit to fall out of when you're busy. And the longer you go without doing something, the more you get used to its absence. That was a lot of nonsense to say what I'm sure no one (except Krysta!) has commented on- I took a break, now I'm back- for a little.


So what have I been up to? Well I could bore you some more with the details but I'd rather tell you about the movies I've seen recently!


In theaters:
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen- have you even heard of this movie? Well, we went to see it and rather enjoyed it! Its an eccentric but simple movie- basically about faith and falling in love and fish that swim upstream. I always have a girl crush on Emily Blunt and I do love Ewan McGregor as a shy guy dealing with unrequited love. Christian in Moulin Rouge anyone? (side note, Moulin Rouge is over 10 years old. crazy.) This is a movie that you could watch with your parents, grandparents, or great grandparents and not be all flustered when something vaguely inappropriate comes on screen.





American Reunion- Not so much a 4th movie in the American Pie series but a nod to all of the hijinks in the first film. A few funny parts, but if this was my reunion I would have skipped the travel costs and resorted to some good old fashioned facebook stalking.

The Hunger Games- I finished the book, and loved it in the end, although Carly and Claire were spot on about the high expectations. My world wasn't changed but I'm certainly glad I read the book- and saw the movie!
What I loved- getting to see the Gamemakers create what was happening in the arena, the intensity of the first few minutes standing on the pedestals, everything about Stanley Tucci.
What I didn't love-a lack of exploration behind the real/pretend Katniss and Peeta relationship which for me was one of the most compelling points of the book. No shots of Katniss manipulating her reactions because she knew there was a camera on her. Jennifer Lawrence's gigantic boobs. She's got a great body, but I expected Katniss to be a little less bombshell, a little more Lisbeth.



New(ish) on DVD:
I Don't Know How She Does It-I finally saw this movie!! And it was GOOD. Very different than I expected, but highly entertaining and really made me think. Isn't SJP just the best? I think so.



Warrior- I remember listening to NPR this fall and someone referred to it as "Rocky meets Shakespeare." I'd say that's about accurate. Good for when your boyfriend wants to watch something violent but you'd at least like a cohesive story to go along with it.

Oldies but Goodies:
With all the renewed Marilyn Monroe buzz- My Week with Marilyn and Smash (is anyone watching?) I'm ashamed to say I'm not very familiar with the her on screen. However, I recently watched Some Like it Hot and The Seven Year Itch thanks to TCM and my DVR. Both were funny, interesting, and surprisingly modern.



Anyways, I hope to be back soon with a review of The Lucky One and more pics of Zac Efron. Anyone see any good movies in April?

No comments:

Post a Comment