Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Guess what time it is?

The Golden Globes are on Sunday! Do you know what that means? It's awards season people!!!







For me, awards season is the equivalent of the super bowl, the final four, the NBA playoffs, the. . . hockey. . . games? Sorry, my big moments in sports knowledge ends there. Oh! The world series! Just remembered. I only know that because I believe Fever Pitch is one of the most underrated romantic comedies of the past 10 years.

Okay so awards season. Awards shows are a triple threat. First, the red carpet which I might argue is the best part. It's like watching a beauty pageant but starring all of your favorite celebrities. I'm one of those people who really loved every cliche high school experience, especially prom. Walking the Oscars red carpet has to be the culmination of every amazing prom daydream you ever had plus television cameras AND George Clooney. And minus the awful dance moves that haunt you 10 years later. I like to sit on my couch and watch all of the red carpet coverage while texting my mom, searching people.com for the latest picture updates, and yelling out "Hi Sandra!" "Oh she looks great!" "Omg no Helena Bonham Carter. No!" "Awww Ryan Gosling brought his moooommm!" It. is. awesome.

Next, the awards shows productions which are always a bit. . . odd, no? Obviously the organization of such a huge telecast has to be a daunting task but it always seems like things are a bad joke or faulty teleprompter away from falling apart. Considering these shows are built around awarding forms of entertainment, it seems like they should be able to "get it together." Side note: every since watching the original "Shit Girls Say" about a month ago, I have become glaringly aware of how often in conversation I demand that a third party "gets it together." Anyways, if awkward moments aren't your cup of tea, there's always a couple of cheap laughs, usually from presenters who are witty/charming enough to go off script. (I'm looking at you Tom Hanks.)








And of course, the awards! I think awards (especially for films) can be polarizing because they rarely recognize the movies that were box office hits. I think many times people find themselves tuning into the Oscars only to say " I've never even HEARD of that movie!!!" As a lover of all things pop culture, and a writer of a blog devoted to romantic comedies, I certainly understand this. However, I like to think that I have a basic knowledge of what films are worth awarding, and worth paying for a ticket at the movie theater. And we'll talk about that later. I suppose the most riveting, emotional part of the evening (besides the non-existent Jen and Angelina showdown that In Touch has reported for the past 7 years) is seeing a genuinely grateful actor (sometimes director, I'm not looking at you James Cameron) accept an award with grace, eloquent words, and a few tears. It seems to be everyone's dream to win an acting award (maybe just me?) and I wish we had more acceptance speeches in our lives. I would gladly accept an award for returning emails in timely manner or a posting an amusing facebook status with all of the self deprecating humor and adorable british expressions of Kate Winslet.











What is your favorite part of awards season?





No comments:

Post a Comment