Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday Morning Required Reading

When I finished grad school a lot of people asked me what I was going to do with my free time.  Besides working out more (check!) blogging more (working on it) and just loving life without homework (every.single.day) I really didn't have any concrete plans.  However I hoped that even without some sort of scholarly obligation I would still want to learn and analyze and discuss.


Lately I've been wanting everyone to read something I enjoyed or watch a movie I loved and talk about it with me.  I guess sometimes I miss the opportunity for class discussion.  Or maybe just the chance to hear myself talk.  So please indulge me for a minute and review this syllabus.


Recently everyone has been talking about working moms.  It's kind of amazing that the media is so focused on moms who work but we never, ever hear about "working dads." 


Anyways, this whole conversation got stirred up about a month ago with this piece in The Atlantic.


Why Women Still Can't Have it All


Nora Ephron passed away right after it was published and I love to think that she would have referenced her commencement address when answering the question "Can women really have it all?"


Wellesley Commencement Address 1996


I'm sure you've heard the name Marissa Mayer, the new Yahoo CEO, after this week but this NPR story is a great wrap up of the chatter surrounding her new position and pregnancy.


All Eyes Are On Yahoo's New Female CEO


And finally, please watch I Don't Know How She Does It starring SJP.  This movie made me laugh but it really made me think.  Which, except for determining outfit inspiration, I can't say about every romantic comedy.




Class dismissed!

No comments:

Post a Comment