Wednesday, March 21, 2012

21 Jump Street Review


Ever since Vince Vaughn launched into his "Janice, I apologize to you if I don't seem real eager to jump into a forced awkward intimate situation that people like to call dating" monologue in Wedding Crashers, I've started to expect R rated comedies to be rambling, outrageous, and partly improvised. Especially once Judd Apatow threw his hat into the ring.

So imagine my surprise when Jonah Hill, a Judd Apatow darling, cowrites and stars in 21 Jump Street- a tightly written, fast moving, but still very funny comedy. Beyond the name, I'm unfamiliar with the 1980's tv show, but I think there were a few nods to the original, including a great surprise cameo!

More than anything, I enjoyed the chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum. Channing has some real talent as a comedic actor! He's perhaps better suited for this than the tough guy in love parts I'm used to watching. And I've thought Jonah was ridiculously talented since Superbad- more on that in another post. The movie has some great observations about what this generation of high school kids are like. Considering I work with students every day- I was highly amused.

21 Jump Street received mostly rave reviews from famous critics which surprised me a bit. Yes, I laughed out loud many times, but high school comedies, like chick flicks, are often unappreciated. The movie veers of course a bit with a sudden influx of violence as the movie comes to end. Fortunately, it also sets us up for a sequel. And more Channing. So I'll be there.

21 Jump Street, rated "R," comedy, starring Jonah Hill, and Channing Tatum, "B"

No comments:

Post a Comment