Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The thing is, I love you.

This time of year, when the leaves start to change, I need to grab a jacket before I leave my apartment, and I feel the pressure to make epic New Year's Eve Plans . . . I also start to watch When Harry Met Sally. I love this movie SO MUCH. While I often make categories of my favorite movies- favorites musicals, favorite tearjerkers, favorite teen comedies- this movie just might be my favorite movie. Ever. Of all time.




When I tell people this, they'll say "oh yeah I've seen that movie" And what they mean is they've seen some clips on tv and they're familiar with Meg Ryan's "I'll have what she's having" scene. This is not acceptable! Rent this movie tonight and watch it all the way through! You'll love it for these reasons:



1) Meg Ryan as Sally Albright. Okay, well she's adorable. She has cute curly blond hair! She invented the term "high maintenance." She values honesty and she's a wonderful friend. She's annoyingly optimistic and realistically vulnerable. Everyone remembers her faking it in Katz's Deli, but I love this scene the most.






I mean, haven't we all felt this way? We've all had a night where all of a sudden, our life is not what we thought it would be. And we're I'm going to be 40! In 8 13 years!



2. Scenes of New York. This movie makes me want to go to New York even more than watching Carrie and company strut down 5th avenue. I once watched an interview with the director and he said they wanted some gorgeous back drops so it would be obvious that Harry and Sally were falling in love . . . even if they didn't know it yet.



New York in the fall!
At Christmas!
I'm already in love! When I went to NYC last year I knew I needed to see Washington Square Park where Sally says goodbye to Harry for the first time.


"That's too bad, you were the only person I knew in New York."



3. The Dialogue. Omg, this script is perfection. It also happens to be hilarious! I feel like so many movies now rely on shock value to make you laugh. You laugh because you're thinking "wait WHAT just happened!?" When Harry Met Sally has so many scenes that just seem like regular conversations between friends. But only if the conversations you had with your friends were 100% hilarious. Here are two of my favorites. Also, I posted about another one here.









4. Billy Crystal as Harry Burns. He's cynical. He's pessimistic. He has strong opinions and he's ridiculously stubborn. But he makes you laugh. And he says exactly what you want to hear from someone who's always been in love with you and just now realized it.






5. This movie completely changed my life a few years ago. But that's a story for another day. . .

1 comment:

  1. Baby Fish Mouth is sweeping the nation.

    I second your feelings on this movie. Especially the inserted interviews with couples... AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete