Monday, December 19, 2011

5 Rom-Coms- #4 The Holiday

Well, this is an obvious choice, isn't it? I remember seeing The Holiday my senior year in college with some girlfriends and knowing instantly that I would watch it for years on TBS. Isn't it great when that happens?


What's so wonderful about The Holiday is that it takes a very cute romantic comedy plot idea (quite common) but actually follows through with a great script and cast (unfortunately rather rare.) The 4 lead characters really make this movie.

Let's start with Cameron Diaz as Amanda Woods. First of all, she is just so SO pretty and I love all of her luxurious and cozy scarves and coats. Also she has the coolest job AND an enviable disorder that makes her incapable of crying. I wish I were her.

And Jude Law as Graham. Now I know Jude considers himself a serious British ac-tor but don't you feel he's missed his calling as a romantic comedy leading man? Not only is he charming and handsome- he's Mr. Napkinhead!



And Jack Black as Miles is a delightful surprise. He is super cute in this movie and the scene at the piano with Iris is one of my favorite parts. " We both said fruitily!"



But Kate Winslet . . . Kate's performance as Iris Simpkins completely elevates The Holiday from standard rom-com to one of my favorites. Not only is she effortlessly lovely the whole time but her monologue about unrequited love is so heartbreaking its almost painful to watch.


I also love how The Holiday is practically a love letter to romantic comedies. I mean the whole Arthur storyline is precious- who (besides Amanda Woods) doesn't burst into tears when he walks into the room of applauding fans?!?! But it also brings us the definition of a "meet-cute" and some great advice for Iris to become a leading lady with "gumption."

If you even remotely enjoy this blog, chances are you've seen The Holiday. Many times. Well the holidays are about tradition, so it enjoy it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment