Sunday, July 31, 2011

Move Trailer Anticipation Disorder

I have a problem. I watch a movie trailer and immediately convince myself that I have found my new favorite movie. I have been known to tear up and get goosebumps during those contrived 2 minutes. I immediately obsess over when I'll get to see this movie. I check youtube for new trailers. I watch the previews over and over again. When I tell a friend I'm excited about the movie and she hasn't heard of it (because she's a normal person) I gasp and recite any clips of scenes word for word. Chances are I have already downloaded any good songs featured in the trailer. It's really shameful. It is Movie Trailer Anticipation Disorder (MTAD) and I've struggled with it for years.


Then, when at long last, I get to see the movie.... its not the masterpiece I had in my head. Yes this is whole point of a trailer... like Amanda Woods in "The Holiday," people are payed the big bucks to take an average movie and make everyone (or just me!) excited to see it. And I fall for it every time.



I was obsessed with the Sex and the City movie trailer from the time it leaked on Jezebel in winter 2008 until I finally saw the movie in April of 2008. Fortunately for my sanity, the movie was "just fabulous" (as Carrie would say) and did not disappoint.




This only makes MTAD worse when a movie like "The Time Traveler's Wife," based on one of my all time favorite books and starring one of my all time favorite actresses and prefaced by one of the most magical trailers.... comes up short.




However... I will not give up! I have been dying to see "Crazy, Stupid, Love" since the second I saw this amazing trailer. I told my boyfriend I would wait until he got back in town and we are finally seeing it tonight! And so another cycle of MTAD begins...



No comments:

Post a Comment