Thursday, August 2, 2012

Ask CFC: If you're going to San Francisco

My sweet friend Meg is special to me for many reasons.  First, she was my first, and dearest, friend that I made post college.  This article from the New York Times is making the rounds on blogs lately and its an accurate portrayal of how hard it is to really connect with someone once you're trying to make it in "the real world."

Meg and I rented a house with a group of girls the year we graduated and although my journal reflects that I often felt lost and lonely that first year, I now look back on it as one of my favorite years . . . ever.  Between traveling for work and adjusting to the shock that comes when you don't have your 50 closest friends in walking distance . . . I spent a lot of time that year reading, and thinking, and talking to Meg. 


Meg is one of the greatest listeners I've ever met because she not only lets you ramble on (as I tend to do) but reflects your feelings and asks thoughtful questions.  I can't begin to tell you how many times I've started a conversation with " You know, I was talking to my friend Meg about this. . ."  I lent her several books that year and she would leave little notes in my room with quotes she enjoyed. She even came up with a name for our conversations- "philosofickle" - because we loved to discuss big ideas, but wavered on our actual stance.  Everyone should have a friend like Meg- especially when you're 23.

Meg is getting married this weekend and moving the week after that!  I am so happy for her and so excited to celebrate.  She is honeymooning in San Francisco and, because she's such a great listener, has gathered travel tips from everyone.  The last and only time I was there was 10 years ago, so I'm not much help in that department.  But when in comes to San Fran on the silver screen?  I've got that covered.

CFC's Top 5 San Francisco Films

5. Serendipity
I know what you're thinking.  Serendipity is set in NYC!  Actually its just John Cusack and Natasha his bland brunette fiancee who live on the east coast.  Kate Beckinsdale (why is she always fighting people in leather boots these days?  I demand another rom-com!) and Aiden Shaw her bizarre musician boyfriend live in the Bay area.  I love this movie not just because it's Christmas and not just because it's romantic, but for the sheer amount of stress I feel about whether they will actually get together.  Its like Sam Baldwin and Annie Reed on steroids.

4. The Graduate
While we're on the topic of life after college . . .everyone should see The Graduate. It appears constantly in pop culture and the Simon & Garfunkel soundtrack is divine.

3. Mrs. Doubtfire
My favorite dressing in drag movie (and I love Tootsie, Some Like it Hot and The Birdcage!) Heartbreaking and hilarious.

2. The Wedding Planner
With Matthew McConaughey before he got his hair transplants, J-Lo before Ben and Marc and Casper, Mossimo before set foot in Seattle Grace and Adam Shankman before he convinced Tom Cruise to wear extensions.  It's practically a classic.

1. Vertigo
Romance, obsession, a flawless Kim Novak and a totally creepy Jimmy Stewart.  Just topped Citizen Kane in a "best movie of all time" poll.  I always say I just like to enjoy movies, but watching Vertigo will make anyone appreciate a really wonderful film.

And there ya have it.  Here's a little confession- Meg never actually asked for San Francisco movie recommendations.  But I know she'll read this anyway. That's what you get with a great listener . . . and an even better friend.





1 comment:

  1. This was such a beautiful post- love her and love you and your love for her!

    ReplyDelete