Thursday, November 29, 2012

Home for the Holidays- Planes,Trains, and Automobiles

The first movie in my Home for the Holidays Christmas countdown isn't actually Christmas movie . . . and isn't actually about a house.  But it's about finding your way home in time for  Thanksgiving- no matter how many modes of transportation stand in your way.
I remember watching bits of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles on tv when I was younger, but a few weeks ago we rented it and watched from start to finish.  After 6 years of traveling for work- I could certainly relate!  What is most frustrating about delayed flights and cancelled rental cars and disgusting hotel rooms is that you feel completely out of control.  You were looking forward to a trip to Florida and all of a sudden you realize you'll be spending the next 8 hours in the Atlanta airport getting territorial about dirty corner of carpet and an outlet to charge your phone.

Or you think you'll be in Chicago with your family by sundown and you end up in a crappy motel in Wichita, being spooned by John Candy.
 
With travel complications, its easy to get annoyed with anyone.  Especially someone who spills beer on the bed, smokes cigars in the motel room and leaves his dirty underwear in the sink.  That's why I love this scene when Neal  (Steve Martin) totally goes off on poor Del.

I mean, I've been annoyed with people before, but usually roll my eyes and silently fume until I can complain behind their back. Neal says everything you've ever wanted to say to someone who is driving you crazy!  You're practically cheering out loud watching this part.  Or at least I was.  I'm probably a horrible person.
That's why my very favorite party of the movie is when Del states very simply "I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get."

Yep, I'm a horrible person.  Now of course Neal will go on to many more angry tirades and Del will continue to be well- meaning and accident prone.  But is the end, Neal invites Del home.  And isn't that what the holidays are all about?

So whether your trampled a little old lady as you sprinted into Target on Black Friday, or considered punching the airline representative who told you your flight was delayed once again, try to remember that it's the holidays and getting home is important to everyone.  And maybe we could all be a little more like Del.

Unless of course,  the rental car company left you in the middle of "f***ing nowhere with f***ing keys to a f***ing car that isn't f***ing there!"  That's unacceptable.



No comments:

Post a Comment